One record at a time: 123. Erasure - Union Street

Having released a bad album of their own material and an even worse one containing other people's songs, Erasure decided to accelerate the demise of their career by releasing an album of their old songs recorded with acoustic instruments. 

I am trying not to be too negative here I promise you; but in pursuing vanity projects such as this, Vince and Andy left a sizeable number of their casual fans (such as myself) behind. As an admirer of electronic music, "Union Street" is an anathema to me. Yes, artists are perfectly entitled to stretch themselves and try something new, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Like its predecessor, I only own this album because it completes my collection. I haven't listened to the record and I do not intend to - low quality mp3 will suffice for this review I am sure.

The song choices are intriguing ("Piano Song" with no piano?) and the arrangements are much better than "Other People's Songs" - but the basic concept of an electronic band re-recording their tracks with acoustic guitar (and even worse, pedal steel guitar) is abhorrent to me. 0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment