One record at a time: 118. Erasure - I Say I Say I Say

This is without a doubt my favourite Erasure album. Here Vince Clarke and Martyn Ware use analogue synthesizers to create the most beautiful music that perfectly compliments Andy’s soaring vocals. This album restricts its sound palette even more than its predecessor by not using drum machines. In another break from the norm, Andy's vocals were recorded first and the backing tracks sculpted around them. The end result is an album of shimmering beauty that has a unique and beguiling sound.

The mood is set by opening track "Take Me Back" with its wistful falsetto vocals and delicate synth textures. The single "I Love Saturday" injects some urgency but the delightful "Man in the Moon" brings us floating back down. "So the Story Goes" takes a while to get going and the discordant choir can be a bit jarring until you become accustomed to it.

I remember an interview in a magazine describing "Run to the Sun" as, "Eurodisco in a sort of 2 Unlimited style". Today this description is puzzling, but it did make sense to me back in 1994 - the opening riff is undoubtedly influenced by dance music but it remains distinctly an Erasure song. The big hit single "Always" has an amazing melody that anyone faintly antiquated with it can't help but sing along to. There are three more fantastic songs on the b-side of the album but the final cut, "Because You're So Sweet" remains my favourite. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment