One record at a time: 113. Erasure - The Circus

The search for a copy of "The Circus" in good condition has resulted in me owning it three times. These records come from a variety of pressing plants and range from good to very good condition. One copy includes a sampler 12" that was bundled by the record company. I'm not clear on why you would include the sampler that duplicates content from the album. Maybe Mute had a warehouse full of them to get rid of.

Vince and Andy's second effort is when things began to take off for the band; and its easy to see why. These tracks have better hooks than "Wonderland" and the production is a big step forwards. Phil Harding provides that PWL sparkle to the mix and almost all of the tracks could have been released as a single. Even the artwork is attractive compared to its predecessor.

The album kicks off with an underrated single "It Doesn't Have To Be" which I considered to epitomise synth pop in my youth. As a teenager I was also slightly obsessed with the melody of "Hideaway" which seemed to weave through the scale like a snake. Unfortunately I didn't give as much attention to the lyrics on some of these songs when I was younger and their message was a little lost on me. The trio of "Don't Dance", "If I Could" and "Sexuality" are all based on strong and empowering messages that I didn't appreciate at the time.

The second half of the album weaves the pop majesty of "Victim of Love" with the plaintive "Leave Me to Bleed" and the undeniable melody of break through hit "Sometimes". The titular single is another underappreciated masterpiece that can instantly transport me back to 1987. "Spiralling" makes for the perfect torch song to round out a great album. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment