One record at a time: 102. Electronic - Electronic

If you were to ask me, "What is your favourite album?" the answer would sometimes be Electronic's eponymously titled debut. 

I have two copies of the vinyl: an original pressing from 1991 and the 2015 180g version. Whilst both sound good, I prefer the original. This preference is not only due to the quality of the audio but also because the original presents the album in the way the artist intended. All subsequent pressings of the LP include "Getting Away With It" and this track was most definitely not on the album when it was released. Adding non-album singles retrospectively might give the public the hits they crave, but it also bastardises the album a little for me.

"Idiot Country" is a great opening track and one that I have always appreciated. One reason I admire this song so much is that it manages to use the "Jamisen" preset from a Roland D-110 and make it sound good: this is no small achievement. There's no dip in quality as the pounding TR-909 kicks combine perfectly with Johnny's guitar in "Reality". In my youth I didn't appreciate "Tighten Up" as its featured so much guitar that it sounded a bit "indie" to me, but in the intervening thirty years I have grown to like it. 

Whilst Pet Shop Boys collaboration "The Patience of a Saint" isn't as successful as "Getting Away With It", it still remains an impressive track. I'm not a massive fan of the weak Roland CR-78 drum samples or the pad sound Chris uses for the chords but there is a great melody. Side One finishes with the majestic "Gangster". Personally I find it unfathomable that some people regard this track as the low point. How can you resist a line like, "I don't need a doctor telling me I'm full of juice"? Yes, some of the orchestra hits sound a bit dated but the TR-909 beat is amazing and I love almost every second of the backing track.

Side two opens with the short instrumental "Soviet" featuring Roland JD-800 piano, strings and not much else. "Get The Message" features amazing guitar work which is underpinned by a driving double bass. The catchy chorus meant this was always an obvious choice for single release. "Try All You Want" sees the TR-909 brought front and centre and we are treated to something that could have been included on "Technique Part II". Whilst the dance beats continue, "Some Distant Memory" is a little more wistful and even features an oboe 'solo'. The final track is the immaculate single "Feel Every Beat" which is the perfect combination of melody, groove and vocals. A rave piano is given a good workout as Bernard doffs his cap to the emerging house sound. An immense album. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment