One record at a time: 100. Electric Light Orchestra - Greatest Hits

For some reason my ELO compilation albums have been stored out of chronological order which means "ELO's Greatest Hits" becomes the 100th record I am listening to. This compilation focuses on material recorded between 1973 and 1978 for Jet Records with "Showdown" being the only track licensed from EMI/Harvest. This means early singles "10538 Overture" and "Roll Over Beethoven" are omitted. 

I acquired my vinyl in 2017 from eBay and whilst the sleeve is in remarkably good condition the vinyl has 'seen some action'. The CD of this album was one of the first I owned back in 1989.

The first track is the superb "Evil Woman" which is marred by a scratch that runs through it and half of the second track "Livin' Thing". As I listen to these tracks I am taken back to when I heard the album for the first time and I am fairly sure I was sold by the time "Can't Get It Out of My Head" started. The main driver for me purchasing a CD player was feeling very frustrated by the background noise from vinyl and yearning for the clarity offered by a CD. As this record progresses that feeling is returning.

Side two begins with "Sweet Talkin' Woman" and a slight improvement in the audio quality. We rattle through the hits "Telephone Line", "Ma ma Ma Belle" and "Strange Magic" before we reach the daddy of them all "Mr Blue Sky". In the modern era of 'career defining' box sets and extensive compilation playlists, an album of 11 track seems remarkably short. But this is a succinct and perfectly formed collection that that focuses on the bands commercial peak. Whilst the curious will be rewarded by exploring the greater riches in the back catalogue, everyone should start here. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment