One record at a time: 80. Digitalism - I Love You, Dude

Whilst I bought Digitalism's first album in 2007 on CD, I didn't have the foresight to buy it on LP. As a consequence, their second album, "I Love You, Dude", is the first I own on vinyl.

According to Discogs my copy of the album is from 2011, but I'm not sure that is accurate as I didn't buy it from Amazon until 2019. Interestingly, this is one of few records I own that came with a plastic credit card containing the download code rather than a piece of paper.

As I listen to this album, I seem to be forced to compare each song to someone else's work. There's a strong influence of Daft Punk running throughout and I hear elements of contemporaries, Simian Mobile Disco, Justice and AIR to name but a few. That's not to say these aren't original songs and nearly all of them are very good, it's just that some sound highly derivative.

Broadly speaking, Digitalism songs seem to fit in two different camps: house stompers and indie-tinged electronic pop. Whilst the latter style is where Digitalism are at their most original, this is where I find them least interesting.

"Stratosphere" is an impressive slice of electronic dance music with a strong French house feel. The second track "2 Hearts" drops the pounding dance beats and is more like a traditional pop song replete with vocal. "Circles" is another more conventional song with strong Tomcraft vibes and another nice vocal from Jens. My favourite track is house stomper "Blitz". This track is nothing short of genius with its stuttering riffs and a great trance arpeggio played on what sounds like an FM synth.

"Forrest Gump" has good verses but the chorus annoys me a little. We flip back to more dance orientated material with "Reeperbahn" and "Antibiotics" before diving off into AIR territory with "Just Gazin'". "Miami Showdown" is Daft Punk by numbers but "Encore" is a more considered piece of electronic music. "Blade" is pounding club track that is probably the hardest thing on here. This is a bit of a schizophrenic album but I enjoy it a lot. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment