One record at a time: 78. Depeche Mode - Delta Machine

I'll be honest, I can't find much to like in this album. I don't even like the artwork. I own the 2016 repress of the 180g double vinyl and it has never been played.

Once opening track "Welcome to my World" gets going it sounds great and develops into a stirring composition - but things go downhill fast from here. "Angel" sounds like a blues song executed on distorted synthesisers and single "Heaven" leaves me scratching my head.

The first trace of innovation is heard on "My Little Universe" which threatens to build into an acid tinged wig out before suddenly collapsing. We are subjected to more blues guitar on the awful "Slow" and I am beginning to lose the resolve to finish listening to this album.

"Broken" has a nice melody and repairs some of the damage but the lacklustre "The Child inside" kills off any hope of a turn around for the album. "Should Be Higher" is a good song that demonstrates how good a songwriter Dave becoming at this time. In fact, you could argue that Dave's contributions were more consistent than Martin's on this album. Things peter out with seventies rock pastiche "Soothe My Soul", the disappointing "Alone" and the rather cliched blues nonsense of "Goodbye". Not my favourite album. 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment