One record at a time: 76. Depehce Mode - Playing the Angel

This is Depeche Mode's eleventh album which was released in 2005. Here I am playing the reissued double vinyl from 2017 as I only bought the CD/DVD when it was originally released.

Whilst I like a lot of songs on this album, I am not too keen on the production. Depeche Mode seem determined to turn their backs on any element of synth-pop and use distortion as an enabler for credibility. It drives me to distraction.

The album starts with "A Pain That I'm Used To" which has a really annoying intro but develops into an an amazing song with some great electronic instrumentation. Whilst there is plenty of Martin's guitar present, I don't believe that Andy Fletcher played the bass on the song for one second (no matter what Wikipedia might say). I know the next track "John the Revelator" has its fans but I am not one of them: it's just too noisy for me. "Suffer Well" is another obvious single with its infectious groove with a great chorus but could do with some of the guitar removing.

This album was the first in many years where the lead single had been spectacular. "Precious" is a heartbreaking pop song that has a slight whiff of the "Violator" era about it. For my money this is probably the best song the band have produced since 1993; I can't think of much else that would top it. Things get a bit soggy in the middle with "Macro" and Dave's composition, "I Want It All". Dave's other joint writing credit is for "Nothing's Impossible" which is slightly monotone and doesn't really develop enough for me. Martin takes over vocal duties for the disappointing "Damaged People" before Dave returns for another good track "Lilian".

When I first heard the album I dismissed "The Darkest Hour" as it leans towards the more soulful side of Martin's writing that I don't always warm to. As the years have gone by I appreciate the song more and it makes more sense when heard in the intended running order that vinyl enforces upon us. "Free" seems to resurrect some of the more "industrial" elements of the bands early sound but there are enough contemporary touches to ensure it isn't as good as anything from "Black Celebration". 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment