One record at a time: 6. Air - Twentyears

So, we come to record number six in my collection, the <ahem> unforgettable "Twentyears" by Air. As you may have noticed I am trying to work my way through my record collection in alphabetical order by artist; so coming back to the letter 'a' after over eighty entries is a bit of a cock up.

For some reason I keep box sets on different shelves to the rest of my collection and whilst I've had my eye on them to ensure I don't forget Enigma "The Complete Studioalbum Collection" (sic), I have completely overlooked this one.

"Twentyears" is a 'career defining' compilation album that was released on a variety of formats, including the three CD and double vinyl box set I am looking at today. In keeping with process I'm just going to play the vinyl today.

The first track "La Femme D'Argent" is taken from their classic debut album "Moon Safari". This song is a fantastic, laid back instrumental beamed to us from 1976. You can smell the flares and handlebar moustaches as Jean-Benoît teases licks and trills from the Rhodes piano.

I think must have already stated on this blog that the next track, "Cherry Blossom Girl" is a masterpiece, but it doesn't hurt to reiterate this and assert that no compilation album for Air would be complete without it. Another of my favourite tracks "Kelly Watch The Stars" features Solina synths stings, vocoder vocals and a Minimoog bassline - what's not to like!? At this stage, such an embarrassment of riches means I am beginning to think that this could be the best compilation album ever. However, things go a bit awry with "Playground Love" and "Sexy Boy" which aren't really to my taste. In fact, I hate "Sexy Boy". I have hated it since the first day I heard it wafting out the window of a student house sometime in 1998. I like a lot of Air's music but that one song really annoys me and I don't listen to it. So I've skipped it.

The Rhodes piano is wheeled out again for "All I Need" which is complimented by the etherial vocal talent of Beth Hirsch. The advert friendly "Alpha Beta Gaga" is presented as the "Single Edit" which unfortunately trims a minute and a half from the running time. If running time was a concern I would have suggested they jettison one of the less successful tracks (read awful) such as "How Does It Make You Feel?" rather than chopping up a good one.

Next up is the best song from the "Pocket Symphony" album, "Once Upon a Time". This is a dreamy piano driven song that Air always seemed to excel in delivering. I find "Alone In Kyoto" mesmerising and consider it one of their finest works. "Talisman" uses the same recipe as "La Femme D'Argent" but isn't nearly as good. "Run" is undoubtedly excellent and closing track "Le Soleil Est Près De Moi" is as relaxed and chilled a track as you could ever expect to hear.

Having reached the end, I am left a little bemused by this compilation. There is no track from the "Love 2" album and "Mer du Japon" should be on any and every Air compilation. The inclusion of the frankly awful "How Does It Make You Feel?" in preference to the tolerable "Don't Be Light" from the same album is mystifying. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment