One record at a time: 73. Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devoition

Whilst I don't blame Depeche Mode for wanting move on from their previous album, I can't pretend that the follow up to "Violator" was anything other than a disappointment to me.

Lead single "I Feel You" came as a shock to those of us who where anticipating "Violator 2". Personally I don't like the track much and it feels like it was just a concession to Dave wanting to be in a rock band. I was accustomed to hearing guitars on Depeche Mode tracks by the time this was released, but this was a step too far for me.

We now know that tensions in the band made this a very difficult album to produce. This may be the reason why some of the tracks don't achieve their potential. "Mercy In You" and "Higher Love" seem to be lacking that vital spark and I can't warm to them much. Whilst "Condemnation" does have clear purpose, the execution fails to engage me and makes me lament on what could have been if these songs had been handled differently.

On the metaphorical flip side "Walking In My Shoes", "In Your Room" and "Judas" see the band hitting the same highs they achieved on "Violator. "One Caress" is a particular highlight that would grace any album regardless of genre or vintage; it is simply amazing as a composition and is executed perfectly.

"Violator" succeeded because it tapped into the contemporary zeitgeist of dance music and was consistent in quality. This record definitely leaned towards the emergent grunge sound, but it lacked that vital element of consistency. There are enough great tacks on this album to consider it a success, but things would never be the same again. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment