One record at a time: 65. Depeche Mode - Speak and Spell

OK deep breath and stay strong people because we are about to be caught in the tangled web that is the Depeche Mode back catalogue. I have no doubt the next 15 posts will bring a fair share of highs and lows. There will be disagreements, disenchantment and more than a few tears. We will lament at what could have been and rejoice in what was. All human life is scattered amongst the detritus.

Obviously we kick off with debut "Speak and Spell" which is presented here as the 2007 remastered 'deluxe heavy vinyl'. The sound is generally good with punchy bass and only the occasional attack of sibilance. There was no digital download with this record, but I don't remember that being commonplace back in 2007. It certainly doesn't concern me as I have several versions of the album on CD anyway (I also have an original pressing of the LP somewhere too).

No sooner has the needle hit the wax than the naive analogue beauty of "New Life" begins to emanate from the speakers. I can't tell you how exciting this music was to me when I first heard it circa 1988. Whilst I was a bit late to the Depeche Mode party, this record stood up against much more contemporary material because it was so damn good. The analogue synths on "I Sometime Wish I Was Dead" and "Puppets" are programmed to absolute perfection and the melodies are amazingly strong. Yes, the triumvirate of "Boys Say Go!", "Nodisco" and "What's Your Name?" may sound twee nowadays, but I'd rather listen to them than almost anything the band have produced since 2005.

The flip side of the record features some of the band's best early work including "Tora! Tora! Tora!", "Any Second Now (Voices)" and the grossly underrated "Big Muff". Quite how such wonderful sounds were coaxed from such rudimentary synthesisers remains a mystery to me. But when you consider the talents of John Fryer, Eric Radcliffe, Vince Clarke and Daniel Miller were at the controls, maybe it shouldn't be that surprising.  

Whilst this is an album the band have seemingly disowned (I doubt they refuse the royalty cheques however) it remains a credible and highly polished piece of synth pop. During live performances I hate the way Dave repeatedly introduces "Just Can't Enough" as being "for the fans". It's almost as if he's saying, "We think this song is s**t but we'll lower ourselves to play it for you." Yet, this is one of their biggest and most enduring hits. Nobody is singing "Heaven" or "Where's the Revolution" in karaoke bars or at football matches I can tell you that much.

We'll come back to this topic repeatedly I'm sure, but I hate the way Depeche Mode have morphed into some sort of a rock act. I haven't listened to this album for many years and hearing it now sparks a strong sense of nostalgia for a simpler time: a time when Depeche Mode were good. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment