One record at a time: 61. Coldplay - Ghost Stories

Love them or loathe them, you can't ignore Coldplay. As I remember this album got quite a slating in the press when it was released. The review in The Quietus was so childish and scolding that I deleted their URL from my bookmarks and have never returned. This is not to say I am a massive Coldplay fan, but I won't dismiss an entire album just because some of the lyrics reference the breakdown of the singer's relationship.

This is the standard European 180g vinyl and, as an Optimal Media pressing, it sounds very good indeed. This is another purchase that stems from the beginning of an era when I stopped buying CDs in preference to vinyl. I have even resisted the temptation top buy a second hand CD of this album in a charity shop for £1 recently.

The first track "Always In My Head" is a nice atmospheric opening that sets the tone for the rest of the album. Whilst standout track "Magic" may have a driving electronic beat, it retains the dream pop feeling and is simply a great tune. "Ink" is a bit more disappointing and sounds like a reject from a Sting album. The next track features beats by Timbaland and an interval that I've heard elsewhere; but I quite can't place it. Still its better than appropriating a Kraftwerk melody. Side one finishes with "Midnight" which is quite a haunting track that slowly emerges from its crystallise into a beautiful piece of electronic music.

I regard the b-side of this album as a bit of a disappointment. "Another's Arms" has the first lyric that made me cringe a little and "Oceans" is an acoustic guitar driven song that, despite a sprinkling of electronica, doesn't ever really get started. The only real highlight on the flip side is the ubiquitous "A Sky Full of Stars". This songs has an anthemic chorus and despite being produced by Avici, it retains enough rock stylings to keep the mainstream happy. The last track is labelled as "O" on the sleeve and seems to be two songs, "Fly On" and "O" with two minutes of silence inserted between them. Despite a promising start, I always feel a little let down at the end of this album. If the second side was as good as the first, this would have been an amazing collection of songs. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment