One record at a time: 35. Tim Bowness - Late Night Laments

The latest Tim Bowness album "Late Night Laments" is the next in my collection and I'm pleased to say it is a good one. 

Opening track "Northern Rain" immediately sets a high bar for song writing and is complimented by the production skills of Brian Hulse. Once again Steven Wilson takes on mixing duties and the album carries his unmistakable sonic gleam.

 "I'm Better Now" features twinkling synths and electronic beats that I find mesmerising. As the song finished I wistfully thought, "I really would like another song like that and not an acoustic guitar ballad." My prayers were duly answered with "Darkline" which is an achingly beautiful masterpiece. Just when you think things can't get any better you realise the noisy synth solo is by Richard Barbieri. Fantastic.

We return to the more familiar recipe of 'double bass and guitar' on "We Caught the Light" but "The Hit Man Who Missed" does enough to warrant attention with its weaving sub bass and subtle analogue arpeggios. "Never a Place" is a great song that seems have a lot of pop sensibilities underneath the skin. I could see this track completely reimagined as a chart hit by an ephemeral X-Factor winner. The liberal use of samples on "The Last Getaway" and the electronic beats of "Hidden Life" perfectly illustrate the move away from traditional prog rock guitar noodling featured on previous albums. If you hear nothing else of this album, you should at least listen to the majestic "I'm Better Now" or "Darkline". Great stuff. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment