One record at a time: 33. Tim Bowness - Songs From The Ghost Light

Is this a compilation? Is it an EP? Is it an album? Is it a mini-album?  To be honest I have no idea what it is.

"Songs from the Ghost Light" was released soon after Tim's previous effort "Lost In The Ghost Light" and given the title of the record, I would have assumed there is a link between the two; but I have no idea what it is. The record itself is a 180g 'moon blue' disc from a pressing of 500 units.

The album (or whatever it is) starts with a "Chamber Version" of "Stupid Things That Mean The World" which distils the melody of the song and lays it out across a broader canvas. There's a nice live version of "The Warm Up Man Forever" which is followed by a couple of album out-takes. One of these out-takes is my favourite track on the record called "Once a Record". This is a 'Mellotron drenched' ambient piece that sparks memories of Tangerine Dream. The rest of the album consists of live tracks and atmospheric pieces that are mildly entertaining without setting the world on fire. Whilst there is nothing offensive to my ears on this record, neither is there much to draw me back. 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment