One record at a time: 30. Tim Bowness - Abandoned Dancehall Dreams

"Abandoned Dancehall Dreams" was released in 2014 and is Tim's second solo album. I own the standard black vinyl and the hand numbered white version (minus the essay and the postcard that were originally included in the package). 

I have no idea what genre this record is classified as, but it is certainly the most 'rock' album we have encountered thus far. Having listened to so much electronic music, the introduction of real drums, bass guitar and violin takes some getting used to. I have to 'get in the mood' for albums like these and they definitely benefit from your undivided attention.

I had adjusted by the third track "Songs of Distant Summers" which features haunting vocals that float above a hypnotic piano refrain. I love these captivating songs that somehow seem to transport you to a little cloud. To me, this is where Tim is at his best. Other highlights include "Smiler at 52"  which tingles with atmosphere and illustrates how poetic Tim's lyrics are. The nine minutes of "I Fought the South" seem to fly by and the wistful "Dancing for you" leaves me wanting to know more about the character in the song .  

There are no dance tracks or upbeat diversions here. This album is pure unadulterated, shoe gazing art rock for the middle aged. When the world seems to be spinning too fast this is a perfect listen. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment