One record at a time: 17. Karl Bartos - Communication

As an admirer of Karftwerk (I'm not a 'fan' in the truest sense of the word), I found it only natural to buy the Karl Bartos album "Communication" when it came out in 2003. I really enjoyed this record as it was one of few truly electronic albums being released at the time. This was also one of the first CDs I remember which contained a link to download additional tracks - which I duly did over my shiny new 1 mbps broadband connection. As a bonus the CD also came in a funky 'drawer' card sleeve (no doubt it has a proper title but I have no idea what it is). I wasn't an avid consumer of vinyl in 2003 (apart from Pet Shop Boys releases) so I had to wait until the album was re-released in 2016 to acquire this remastered LP. 

Things kick off with the single "The Camera" which is a traditional Kraftwerk/Electric Music jaunt with cliched lyrics about taking a picture of the world. "I'm the Message" is a good track that uses the same computer voice that we will hear on the majority of tracks. "15 Minutes of Fame" is another single and is one of the highlights of the album for me (I must track down the CD single some time). "Reality" is a bit more contemporary and provides a nice change of timbre. The first (of many) digs at former bandmates starts with the catchy "Electronic Apeman" which remains a good song below the veneer of cynicism. The second barb is delivered with "Life" where Karl tells us he has to get on with his life; which seems a bit late to say it was recorded more than 10 years after he left Kraftwerk. But there you go.

As we flip over the vinyl I'm beginning to tire a little of Karl's continued use of the same sounds. This album employs the same sonic palette as the first Elektric Music album and, whilst it is strongly derivative of Kraftwerk, it gets a bit wearing. Don't misunderstand, it's not that I dislike the sounds, its the lack of variety that gets a little boring. Which is a bit depressing as all of the remaining songs seem to use the same patches and voice effects. I like this album but a little variety wouldn't have gone amiss. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment