One record at a time: 11. The Art of Noise - In Visible Silence

I own two copies of "In Visible Silence": the original vinyl and the 2018 double LP on blue vinyl. For this play though, I'm going to start with the new and (as yet) unopened 2018 version. 

First up is a familiar track, "Opus 4". However, what I'm not familiar with is the overwhelming sibilance that turns every 's' into the aural equivalent of having your ear canal grated. "No ssssssssssssssssssssssssssun". No thanks. Things don't improve much for this pressing with "Paraniomia" which has clicks and annoying surface noise. Abandon ship! Having swapped to the original pressing things have improved a little. The sibilance and surface noise is still there on the first two tracks but its not as overpowering as it was on the blue vinyl. 

I've never been a massive fan of "Paraniomia" as it didn't quite click with me. Call me an old misanthrope, but I didn't like the Max Headroom version or the '89 remix either. Even back in the eighties I didn't understand why Max Headroom was so popular. I just thought it was boring, weird and not very funny.

But the third track "Eye of the Needle" always makes me smile with its jazz celesta and crooner sampled vocals. "Legs" is where the real action is and is on a par with anything the band has recorded to date. The first AoN album I ever owned on CD was "The Best Of" and the 12" version of "Legacy" was always a highlight on my CD Walkman during my paper round. I like the track so much I'm not worried if it is delivered as the original "Legs" or the "Legacy" remix - they both have their merits. "Slip of the Tongue" offers the type of brief, experimental and weird soundscape that featured on the first album. My appreciation for the next track "Backbeat" grew following the release of the God awful "FON Mixes" album where the track is crucified on the alter of terrible dance music. Having heard the track butchered back in the early nineties, I began to re-evaulate the original with a renewed appreciation for Anne's piano and the building majesty rather than the fart noises and delay drenched beats delivered by Robert Gordon (and this remix is far from being the worst on the "FON Mixes", but we'll come to them another day).

Flipping the disc we hear what JJ feels is one of the band's best tracks: "Instruments of Darkness".  Having listened to an earnest eighties political and moral tune the light frivolous single "Peter Gunn" lifts the mood. Like their first album I am struck by how many other synthesisers are used on these tracks besides the Fairlight. The next track "Camilla - The Old, Old Story" shines like diamond with its double bass, 10CC samples and infectious melody. Whilst the track never quite reaches the zenith of "Moments in Love" it isn't too far away; and in some regards I prefer it. "The Chameleon's Dish" gives Anne a chance to riff some electric piano over a funky JJ and Gary backing track. This is good stuff and hints at things like "Kiss" that will proceed on the next album. The brief coda "Backbeat" rounds out the album in brief but emphatic style. This is a great album and I know it well thanks to the CD version I have owned since the early nineties. However, I can't recommend the 2018 vinyl re-issue and would advise vinyl enthusiasts to seek out a good condition original pressing. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment