One record at a time: 8. Arcade Fire: Funeral

Another unopened record. I probably haven't played this because I find Arcade Fire very hit and miss. I either really like their songs or they just sound a bit weird and boring. I think I bought this copy of "Funeral" as it was cheap - £10 or something. I enjoyed some of the tracks on the CD when it first came out and thought it might sound good on vinyl. Indeed, this is a quiet and well pressed vinyl and I have paid considerably more for records which sound much worse.

"Neighborhood: Tunnels" is an impressive introduction and was one of five singles taken from the album. I like the melody on this song and it seems to drive on relentlessly. Will's vocal is both confident and vulnerable at the same time. "Neighborhood 2 (Laika)" is a quirky beast and I can't warm to the accordion; it just doesn't sound right. The French influence continues with the bilingual "Une Année Sans Lumière" (the band are Canadian after all) which is OK without being anything impressive. Where things kick off for me are the next track "Neighborhood 3 (Power Out)". This is an infectious track that swings between a soaring anthem and a lullaby. Imagine Joy Division covering Dexy's Midnight Runners remixed by LCD Soundsystem and you're almost there. Or something like that. The first side ends with "Neighborhood 4 (7 Kettles)" which ventures too far down the violin and acoustic guitar street for my taste. I think there is a good song here but it would need re-recording with a few modular synths or something for me to enjoy it. 

"Crown of Love" is one of those maudlin tracks that builds and builds until almost turns into a disco record. Worth persisting with. "Wake Up" starts like a Nine Inch Nails song and gradually turns into a tune you've probably heard on TV a hundred times. Even though I am not a massive fan of guitar, this track sounds good. "Haiti" sounds like album filler but it does at least have a drum machine in there. Next up is another brilliant track "Rebellion (Lies)" which is clearly an anthem of epic proportions. These are the sort of tracks Arcade Fire do best: infectious, complex, building and satisfying. Having been whipped up into a frenzy, we have to rely on "In The Back Seat" to calm us down and see us out.  Regine takes over on vocals and you can't help but feel an external producer might have added the bit of sparkle and polish this track needs.

By far the worst part about this record is the fact that the vinyl wont fit back into the sleeve properly. I suspect this is because I have only split the cellophane up the side to get the record out. When closed the gatefold sleeve remains tight and I have to jam the record back in. Still, all good for £10 or whatever I paid. 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment