One record at a time: 14. The Art of Noise - Below The Waste

Another album by The Art of Noise and this is the first album in my collection we have come across that I bought on Discogs. All of the pre-millennium albums I have listened to at this point were sourced from eBay, but that can be quite a lottery in terms of the quality of vinyl you receive. If you want a much better (but by no means guaranteed) quality I find Discogs much better.

Like "The Best Of" I originally bought this album on CD from Britannia music club back in 1989. Rather than being on a "4 for £1" introductory offer, I seem to remember this album was the chosen album of the month and mailed directly to me. But that was the CD and here we have the original vinyl that is beautifully mastered; whoever cut this really knew what hey were doing. There is no surface noise or sibilance and the bass is nice and deep. I treasure this disc.

The first track is the single "Yebo" which I remember being quite heavily promoted at the time of release to little effect. The music is a bit cheesy and sounded dated even when it came out. I worked with a Zulu lady once who translated the lyrics for me. I forget what the translation was as I was more stuck by her earnest assertion that I had the Zulu spirit within me. I still treasure the honour she bestowed upon me; even if she was possibly a bit potty. 

Next up is my favourite track on the album "Catwalk" which has some great guitar work and some stunning samples married to a great orchestral arrangement. The only thing that puts me off this track is the fact that JJ had obviously got hold of a Yamaha PSS-780 keyboard around this time and was using the drums (hit hats especially) on this album. As the proud owner of the similar 680 model of crappy home keyboard at the time, I felt a little disappointed that these technical pioneers had been reduced to using such equipment. If I wanted to hear rubbish drum sounds I could just listened to the rubbish cassettes I was making with the same equipment. "Promenade 1" is a short orchestral track written by Anne that is reminiscent of the pieces on the previous album "In No Sense? Nonsense!". "Dilemma" is more typical AoN fair that gives way to the excellent "Island". This is one of those dreamy soundscapes that The Art Of Noise do so well and you hear regurgitated on TV every now and again.

Mahlathini and The Mahotella Queens feature on the fist track of side two "Dan Dare". I'm not really sure of the significance of the title but I am intrigued by the fact that this track opens the CD but is found in the second half of the programme on the vinyl. I have also noticed that the two film soundtrack cover versions on the CD are missing. The omission of the disappointing James Bond theme is actually a bonus, but I do miss the "Island" sound-a-like interpretation of "Robinson Crusoe".

"Chain Gang" resurrects the Yamaha PSS-780 sounds alongside some of the traditional metallic crashing samples so beloved of bands in the 80's. As you may expect "Promenade 2" is another one of Anne's short orchestral pieces that provides a lush counterpoint to the Fairlight grind of "Back to Back". "Flashback" is a nice diversion despite more Yamaha PSS-780 sounds. "Spit" is a track I have always liked as it features some stunning guitar work that propels the songs along and perfectly complements the vocals of Mahlathini and The Mahotella Queens. The fittingly titled "Finale" brings things to a close with its orchestral lament. I have always enjoyed this album, but even when it came out it left me feeling melancholy and imbued the feeling that something was coming to an end. And so it proved to be. Oh, and lets acknowledge the cover is rubbish. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment