One record at a time: 5. Air - Talkie Walkie

I have to be clear from the start that AIR "Talkie Walkie" has always been one of my favorite albums. I quite liked "Moon Safari" (but I have always hated "Sexy Boy") and 10,000hz Legend was a load of garbage; so why did I buy this album? I think it must have been after seeing "Lost in Translation" - but more on that in a minute.

Anyway, I own a couple of copies of the original CD and this 2015 180g (try buying anything else nowadays) vinyl pressing is being played today. Discogs says my copy is a US release which tells you all you need to know about the accuracy of the peer review process (if Wikipedia hadn't told you this already).

As I drop the needle on this record I am instantly transported to planet AIR. Things kick off with "Venus" which is both catchy and displays a quirky sense of humour. "Cherry Blossom Girl" is achingly beautiful; and one of the highlights of the album for me. "Run" is a hypnotic journey that couldn't sound any more Gallic if it tried. "Universal Traveler" and "Mike Mills" throw some acoustic guitar into the heady mix of heavily accented vocals and ethereal chords to great effect. Don't misunderstand me when I refer to Jean-Benoît's vocal delivery - it is as unique and endearing as any of any vocalist I have heard.

The single "Surfing on a Rocket" is OK but not a stand out for me. "Another Day" is a composition that plods along a bit but thankfully never labours the point. "Alpha Beta Gaga" has become a some sort of advertising jingle that lots of people will recognise without fully appreciating. "Biological" allows us to catch our breath with its retro bass guitar, banjo and theremin, but it is just last too long. If it was cut in half I could live with it a bit better. Some of this feeling may be because I'm just in a hurry to reach the exquisite "Alone in Kyoto" which follows. This track is mesmerising and I find it achingly beautiful. I hear new things in this track almost every time I play it and, unlike its predecessor, it just doesn't last long enough. On this play through I realise this album isn't as faultless as my memory tells me it is, but few albums come so close to perfection. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment