One record at a time: 3. a-ha - Minor Earth Major Sky

The third LP from the shelf is the last a-ha album in my collection (plenty of CDs to come later in this review process) and one of my favorites by the band. I'm playing the only vinyl version of this album from 2019 and it sounds brilliant. Unlike re-pressings of their earlier albums, this double LP package has been mastered and pressed very well.

The album kicks off in great style with a title track that is quirky and catchy. "Little Black Heart" continues to employ the surprisingly electronic sound the band found in 2000. "Velvet" would be a mundane ballad if it were not for the ethereal female vocals of Simone Larsen that help lift it to another plane. The original Savoy version of the song is a bit too 'rock' for my taste and Paul's vocals aren't a patch on Morten's. When we flip the vinyl over we are treated to the excellent "Summer Moved On" which somehow manages to sound electronic despite the orchestral arrangement, live drums and swathes of acoustic guitar. 

Track 5 is the first of the weaker songs on the album, "The Sun Never Shone That Day". There's nothing offensive here and the Mellotron strings fit the faint Beatles pastiche - I just don't like it much. "To Let You Win" tries not to be a mid-tempo crawl, but you're kind of glad when it's over. Having gone a bit saggy in the middle, the album begins its recovery with "The Company Man". This track trots out the tired "privileged and rich rock star complains about their record company" story in the vein of "Have a Cigar". And much like "Have a Cigar" I have no sympathy, but the track has a good tune.

Things really pick up with "Thought That It Was You" and "I Wish I Cared" which verge on the anthemic. Morten's vocals are strong here and the production accomplished. These two tracks are the zenith of the album for me as things turn more rock with the next track "Barely Hanging On". On the final side we find "You'll Never Get Over Me" which sounds like a 'band' recording that, whilst being initially entertaining, out stays its welcome. We get treated to another electronic pop track with "I Won't Forget Her" which sounds a bit like an Ace of Base reject (is that a bad thing? Not sure). The album fizzles out with "Mary Ellen Makes The Moment Count" and the strong American accent Paul employs when singing backing vocals. I like this album very much, but to align it with my tastes more closely I would have to cut out 3 or 4 of the weaker 'rock' tracks. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment