Delta Machine is actually quite good!

The last few Depeche Mode albums have disappointed me. I guess, like everyone else, I am hoping each new release will be the “Violator 2” that, in reality, we will never see or hear.

I am gradually letting the idea of reliving my youth go and trying to accept each new album on its own terms. Yet producer Ben Hillier’s sound isn’t to my taste and both “Sounds of the Universe” and ”Playing the Angel” fell short of their potential. I will be honest; I wasn’t expecting much with new release “Delta Machine”, but I have been pleasantly surprised.

The single “Heaven” is a brooding “grower” in the “Only When I Lose Myself” mould. “Secret to the End” has some really clever touches that almost sound contemporary and hold the presses……even has some sounds that aren’t distorted. “Soothe My Soul” sounds like the “Personal Jesus” riff is about to break out at any minute and rumbles along very nicely. Tracks such as “Slow” aren’t to my taste, but there is much else to like on this disc that means the poorer tracks don’t seem to matter. “Soft Touch” sounds almost circa 1983 and “Goodbye” is a fitting ending.

So don’t approach “Delta Machine” with caution (even if Corbijn has outdone himself in terms of crap sleeves). It’s not a pop-fest by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a good album full of new ideas (and plenty of old ones) which not even Hillier could ruin.

No comments:

Post a Comment