DJ Culture: a hidden gem?

There are thousands of great moments in the Pet Shop Boys back catalogue. All ‘petheads’ have their own favourites and some are rather obvious. 
 
However, whilst flicking through various mp3 playlists on my hard drive recently, I came across one of their most overlooked moments of greatness. The “Extended Mix” of their 1991 single “DJ Culture” is, in my opinion, a hidden gem. I remember walking into “Our Price” record shop to buy all three formats of “DJ Culture” on the day of its release. I knew the “Extended Mix” would be my favourite as soon as I heard Neil saying, “I’d just thought I’d mention it. I just thought I’d mention It”, during a breakdown towards the end of the track. Moments like that are truly genius to me. 
 
Dr Wayne Studer also picks “DJ Culture” as one of his seven most beautiful Pet Shop Boys musical moments. On his highly regarded “Pet Shop Boys Commentary” website, Wayne places the bridge/middle eight in "DJ Culture" at number one:"Now, as a matter of pride, indulge yourself...." I get the shivers nearly every time I hear it: a gorgeous descending chord progression that lends an air of almost unbearable sadness to lyrics alluding to the sometimes desperate measures people take to try to make themselves happy. 
 
Some feel that “DJ Culture” was a weak track to be released as a single and its relatively poor chart performance goes some way to bearing this out. Indeed the b-side “Music for Boys” became so popular in the USA that the single was released as a double A side there. Surely this would not have happened if the lead track was stronger. Users of rateyourmusic.com also seem to feel the track was not one of the Pet Shop Boys best, “A real crappy stop-gap” is the only unsympathetic verdict offered. Yet if the track had not been released as a single, it is doubtful that the “Extended Mix” would exist. Now largely overlooked, “DJ Culture (Extended Mix)” remains a hidden gem that will reward the inquisitive and evoke great memories for those who have forgotten its charms.

No comments:

Post a Comment