Now that's what I call a 'box set'

Mute records always seem to know what the punter desires. When I laid eyes on the new box set for the Depeche Mode album ‘Sounds of the Universe’ I was impressed. Indeed, I was so impressed I spent nearly £60 on the thing. Mute appear know that if you get the content and quality right, fans will simply ‘have’ to own their latest release. Loading digital files onto your iPod might be cheap and tidy, but you simply do not get the thrill of owning such great physical products such as this.

There is a long history of Mute ‘getting it right’. The Depeche Mode and Erasure singles ‘box sets’ of the last few years are just one example of this. This latest release is packed with goodies for fans and has me almost as excited as the release of ‘Yes’. It also makes me wish that EMI’s other subsidiary, Parlophone would do something similar for the upcoming Pet Shop Boys album (and ‘box set(s)’ for Neil and Chris’s singles/remixes are long overdue). So, as much as the record industry might bemoan the advent of the mp3 they should also learn that the physical product must be of a superior quality (regardless of cost) if they wish to sell CD’s to the hardcore fans that keep them afloat.

No comments:

Post a Comment