eBay and GAS

I buy a fair amount of musical equipment (‘gear’ in geek parlance) on an increasingly infrequent basis. Yet recently GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) has resurfaced and I find myself looking through eBay for something interesting almost every day. The one thing that strikes me as I peruse these listings is that the price of vintage gear remains elevated, recession or not.

Around the turn of the millennium, it was still possible to find some great bargains as people offloaded their outboard in favour of software. I can only assume there are an increasing number of like-minded musicians who use the short sightedness of others to acquire bigger studios. Obviously, this has all happened before when digital synths arrived and analogue instruments were dropped like hot potatoes. However, it took many years before analogue became converted and prices inflated. Then some fool went and invented ‘electronica’ ‘rave’ or whatever else you want to call it and eventually everyone wanted a TB-303 (I can’t bring myself to comment on the £1000+ TB-303 phenomenon).

Yet the outboard being off loaded by musicians at the moment is not necessarily iconic or unique and still commands large sums of cash. I will give you some examples:

£300 start price with £40 postage for a Korg 01/W?
It is not 1995 anymore. I want one but only because they should be cheap but cheerful.

£900 for a Jupiter 4 with 24 hours still to run?
Are you people mad or just rich? It says 4 not 8.

£250+ for a Roland SH-101
Back in 1990 I had the choice of a DX100 or an SH-101. Each were £90-100 as I remember. I chose the DX100. I really am stupid sometimes.

£320 for a Korg Trinity
Surely you can find a Triton for less than this?

I am VERY excited about the synth I am currently bidding on. This synth is a long-term target that is very rare and my bids are rather high. Thus, I guess I am as guilty as anyone for pushing up prices. Yet my pulse quickens at thought of owning this one and if I win you’re sure to see it here. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment