Writers block and the bass drum boom

Whilst trying to write some new tracks today I hit a brick wall. Complete block. Nothing was working, every four or eight bar loop I created sounded terrible. In the face of this difficulty, I decided to revert to methods used many years ago with my former band mate: steal something from The KLF. I plumped to start my chord pilfering from “The White Room” album. Listening to the track “Last Train to Transcentral” brought memories flooding back: sweaty nightclubs, day-glow t-shirts and whistles abound. Those were the days.

 Then THAT bass drum sounded. 

Possibly the greatest bass drum ever committed to tape blew the cones on my monitors inside out and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.  “The White Room” came out when I was about 17 and still at school. One of our favourite hobbies at the time was trying to destroy the schools stereo and recording system with THAT bass drum. I still have not worked out quite how they recorded this kick. Listen to the track from about 3min 30sec during the drop out with the string riff, then 10 seconds later it comes. Whilst it distorts slightly on any sound system its power is truly immense. One kick drum makes this CD a worthy purchase.  Thus, my attempts to overcome writers block descended into adding as much reverb to 909 kick drums coupled with explosion noises as my monitors would take. I spend ages trying to recreate THAT kick. I still have no idea how they did it. It’s a truly amazing album and a truly astounding kick drum. I haven’t created a new track yet but I do have about 20 reverb drenched kick drum samples. Hey ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment