One record at a time: 312. Mike Oldfield - Impressions

"Impressions" is a compilation album from 1980. This record was released by Tellydisc who were a mail order record company advertising 'budget' compilation albums on television. 

Even though I have been buying Mike's music since 1989 I wasn't aware of this album's existence until about four years ago when I came across it in a shop. 

Unfortunately the shop I found this record in has a tenancy to grade everything as "excellent" - but the reality is often far short of that. I really should stop buying from them. As my first copy was badly scratched, I took a roll of the dice on eBay a few months ago and managed to source a copy in much better condition.

This double album features "Tubular Bells Part One (Live)" from "Exposed" on the first disc and the excellent "Ommadawn (Part One)" on the flip. Side three presents a good chunk of his latest (at the time) album "Platinum" and includes a unique mix of the track "I've Got Rhythm". It is not clear if this version was included by accident or by design, but its presence means this album is quite sought after. The final side is an eclectic collection of singles and b-sides that leaves the albums "Incantations" and "Hergest Ridge" completely ignored. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment