One record at a time: 313. Mike Oldfield - QE2

I always wondered why Oldfield called this album "QE2" as there was nothing special about the ship in my eyes. It turns out that Oldfield decided to name the album after an ocean liner because he used a sound akin to a ship's horn on one of the tracks (heard on the title track). His first idea was to name the album "Titanic" but soon realised this wouldn't be a good idea and plumped for "QE2" instead. 

My copy of this record is a first pressing which can be distinguished by the die cut pothole on the front of the sleeve. This doesn't mean this version is worth more money - but it is a nice touch that isn't present on later editions. I bought this record from eBay eight years ago and it is in very good condition; it plays flawlessly.

This album comes in for a bit of stick from some Oldfield fans and I must admit, when I first heard it twenty years ago I wasn't too impressed. Critics point to the absence of any long form instrumentals and the inclusion of cover versions as detracting from this album's integrity. 

There are also more electronic instruments featured on this record and the very first sound we hear is from a Roland CR-78 drum machine. As "Taurus I" rumbles along we hear the trusty Roland SH-2000 clarinet alongside Polymoog and Solina strings, but my favourite sounds has to be the Moog Taurus bass pedals that chime in from about 8'30''. The final section of this song is one of my favourites pieces on the album but it seems to fade out without reaching a satisfying crescendo.

The second track "Sheba" marks the first appearance of vocalist Maggie Reilley - albeit through a Barth Musicoder Vocoder. The drums on both of these first two tracks are by Phil Collins but, aside from a short section in "Sheba," they are kept relatively low in the mix and don't sound exceptional.

Despite not having much love for ABBA, I do like Mike's version of "Arrival" (I have never heard the original I hasten to add) and his cover version of "Wonderful Land" is also very good. The title track is another highlight of the album but it too seems to just fade away rather than building to a satisfying conclusion. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment