One record at a time: 546. Neon Neon - Stainless Style

I cannot recall how I discovered this album back in 2008, but I am very glad I did. On paper, Neon Neon should not really appeal to me: it is a collaboration between hip hop producer Boom Bip and Gruff Rhys, frontman of rock band Super Furry Animals, neither of whom would normally wander into my musical postcode. However, when they decided to join forces and make a concept album about the life of John DeLorean using eighties-tinged electronic music, they were suddenly parked squarely in my lane.

Although the compact disc and MP3 files had been my main way of listening to the album, this glitter-covered limited edition of 300 felt like a compulsory purchase in 2024. Acquiring it was not entirely straightforward. The postman left my first copy in the rubbish bin while I was on holiday, whereupon a well-meaning neighbour put the bin out for collection. I can therefore confirm that only 299 copies of this limited edition still exist. Happily, Rough Trade were very understanding and furnished me with a replacement. All's well that ends well, apart from the record that ended up in the incinerator.

As the basis for a concept album, DeLorean's life is an intriguing and attractive prospect. Things begin with the breezy 'Neon Theme', apparently co-written and performed with Boom Bip's friend Marty Sataman. The first disappointment arrives quickly in the form of 'Dream Cars'. Somewhere along the production line, the master tapes appear to have taken a wrong turn, because the version on this vinyl is markedly different from the mix I know. The song itself is excellent: the original oozes the effortless charm of DeLorean's suave, debonair image, Gruff Rhys delivers a terrific hook and the lyrics are very clever. Unfortunately, the lacklustre mix presented here makes this pressing feel less like a dream car and more like an Austin Allegro.

One of my personal favourites comes next in the form of 'I Told Her on Alderaan'. This track juggles a wonderful melody, Fairlight ARR1 flourishes and silky lyrics, before topping it off with a Star Wars reference. It is geek heaven, with considerably fewer trade disputes than the average trip to a galaxy far, far away.

'Raquel' is a dance number propelled by crisp percussion and a driving bassline. Written from DeLorean's perspective, it concerns his rumoured romance with Raquel Welch, something I knew nothing about until hearing the album. This proves that a concept album can be educational, provided your preferred curriculum includes eighties sports cars and vintage celebrity gossip.

Then we reach the first of the album's three problematic tracks. 'Trick for Treat' is entertaining, but I cannot pretend it is what I boarded this particular DeLorean for. Whilst highly polished new wave and electronic music feels perfectly suited to an examination of DeLorean and his eighties heyday, hip hop is a less comfortable fit. The same applies to 'Sweat Shop' and 'Luxury Pool', which leave dirty great tyre marks across an otherwise immaculate showroom floor. 

On a brighter note, 'I Lust U' is a terrific track, marrying electro beats with ethereal vocals as it reflects on DeLorean's playboy lifestyle. Unfortunately, this pressing appears to contain a previously unreleased mix, which I am attributing to an inept tape operator retrieving the wrong reel from the storeroom. I have precisely zero evidence for this theory, which has never stopped a good vinyl conspiracy before. 'Belfast', meanwhile, refers to DeLorean's failed attempt to establish his car company at the expense of the UK taxpayer: 'Belfast, uh oh. You know my mind by eye. It's just, I thought. I could take you for a ride...' 

Perched at the top of the tree, looking down on everything else, is 'Michael Douglas'. If this track is not genius, I would like to know what is. The synths bump and grind while Gruff sings about consumerism and DeLorean's desire to glimpse his own reflection in Michael Douglas's mirrored sunglasses. It is an absurd premise executed with a conviction that matched the reality.  Proceedings close with 'Stainless Style', a sombre lament that provides the perfect bookend. 

Thanks to the misplaced rap tracks, the album is far from perfect. Yet 'I Told Her on Alderaan' and 'Michael Douglas' generate so much atmosphere that any self-respecting electronic music fan should investigate it as a matter of priority. I would, however, avoid this particular pressing and seek out a version containing the original mixes, which give these songs the treatment they deserve. Consider this edition the gull-winged display model: very sparkly, highly collectible but with a broken flux capacitor. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment