One record at a time: 325. Mike Oldfield - Voyager

I bought "Voyager" on CD when it was released in 1996 but soon realised that, stylistically at least, it was not a follow up to its predecessor "Songs of Distant Earth". This record is actually more of an album of folk music executed in a vaguely Celtic style. 

Whist this description might not sound appealing to a lover of electronic music, there is just enough synth and effects being thrown around keep me interested. I must enjoy the album to some extent as I bought this LP ten years ago when it was released on vinyl for the first time - but I think I have only listened to it once.

There is a mix "traditional" and original compositions on the record with the title track and "Women of Ireland" being two of the best. Unlike many of Mike's albums, this is one you can dip in and out of and not feel like you are missing out on a wider experience. This is just as well as there a quite few songs that are prime for skipping.

"The Hero" is pretty lifeless and "Mont St. Michel" tries too hard to be atmospheric and ends up being boring. I think the fact that there is relatively little synth on this record means I don't enjoy large chunks of it. A mixed bag with slightly more disappointments than delights. 2/5