One record at a time: 323. Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells II

This might not be the worst sounding record I own, but it is most definitely the quietest. I need to turn the volume on my amplifier up to about 50% to even hear what is playing on this vinyl. 

Unfortunately turning up the volume means that the crackles (few), pops (more) and rumbling noises (lots) present on this pressing are also amplified. This 2014 version was released alongside a few other albums from Mike's back catalogue and they all sound pretty disappointing - I would avoid them if I were you.

I originally bought the CD of this album in 1992 and enjoyed it immensely. In fact, it's a good job CDs don't wear out as my original copy would be on its last legs by now. 

There's something magical about the music on this album and the fairy dust added by Trevor Horn elevates it to a new level. There's a great atmosphere to this recording and the ideas are strong - there are no samples of screaming monkeys or General MIDI telephone noises used this time around. "Sentinel" and "Sunjammer" are two of my favourite sections but I have always been a little bit disappointed by the climax of the fist side titled "The Bell".

There are plenty of highlights on the second side with synth heavy "The Great Plain" and the atmospheric "Maya Gold" rising above the rest. Today I am slightly less tolerant of elements such as the bagpipes on "Tattoo" and the banjo driven bluegrass of "Moonshine", but nothing that would drive me away permanently. This isn't not an album you can dip in and out of; this is a journey you should take from start to end. An hour lost in "Tubular Bells II" is time well spent. 4/5