One record at a time: 320. Mike Oldfield - Earth Moving

The first I heard of this record was when the video for the title track was reviewed on a TV programme I was watching. The general consensus on the show was that Nikki Bentley had a good voice but the song was nothing special. As a teenage record buyer of the time I agreed and spent my money on S'Express or Pet Shop Boys singles instead. Yet, only a couple of years later, I did buy this album and I found plenty in it to interest me.

Having spent years badgering Mike Oldfield to record a follow up to "Tubular Bells", Virgin Records eventually switched track when the success of "Moonlight Shadow" proved he was more than a one trick pony. "Earth Moving" was released in 1989 in response to a demand for hit singles and, as a result, it features ten pop songs with no concession to the long form pieces traditionally associated with Oldfield.

Songs such as "Holy", "Far Country" and "Bridge to Paradise" have good melodies and even "Innocent" has its charms if you can forgive its slightly hokey lyrics. Elsewhere, songs such as "Hostage" and "Runaway Son" smack of a particular brand of clichéd rock that the melodies can't shake. Maggie Reilly is wasted on the lacklustre "Blue Night" and why the last two songs are listed as if they are part of the same composition is a complete mystery.

I was always a little fascinated by this record as it is one of few instances in which I can clearly hear presets from the Roland D-10. As I have mentioned on this blog before, the D-10 was one of the first 'real' synths I ever played and to hear the same kit being used by someone like Mike Oldfield was quite a revelation. Unsurprisingly there is also a fair few D-50 presets on here and there is also a splattering of Korg M1 - but I can't really discern much Fairlight. Anyway, the production was a little old fashioned for 1989 and despite some good songs, this album doesn't really impress too much. 3/5